Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mm, mini frittatas!

I've been trying extremely hard to cram as many vegetables as I can into my diet. I have a hard time with this, as I'm one of those people that is addicted to candy and generally adverse to anything green and leafy. Some vegetables are good (onions, broccoli, potatoes) but I've always had a hard time with salads, asparagus, carrots, etc. I find that vegetables are much easier to eat when they're compiled and cooked into a dish, rather than eaten raw (even though that's the way I should be eating them--I'll work my way there, eventually).

Today, I had in my fridge some carrots, some zucchini, some green onions, some feta cheese and some eggs. Rather than go with the typical omelet option, I elected to try baking mini frittatas. I found the recipe on Craftster (of course) and it turned out amazingly well. You can find the original recipes with pictures if you follow the link, but I'll post my variation of the recipe here. I apologize for the lack of pictures, as I need to buy a new cord for my camera.

Mini Frittatas

2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 small zucchini, grated
3 green onions, chopped
2 TBS feta cheese (The kind I had in the fridge was Mediterranean seasoned--it actually worked well.)
1/4 c. Colby Jack cheese (This is the kind I had. I'm sure and type of cheese you can think of to use would be delicious.)
8 eggs
A dash of chili powder (optional)
Salt and pepper (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put the eggs into the bowl and beat them with a whisk until they're fluffy. I always add a couple tablespoons of water to make them fluffier. I used to add milk until I learned in my Foods class in high school that water actually works better. Add all of the ingredients to eggs and mix them together thoroughly. Oil a muffin tin (I used a jumbo muffin tin so I got six total). Spoon the egg mixture into the cups, filling almost to the top. The recipe originally stated that 15 minutes will do, but I found my eggs a bit undercooked, so they went back in for about five more minutes. Use whatever length of time works for you and your oven.

I'd also like to say that the only vegetable that the original recipe called for was spinach. Add whichever vegetables you like or happen to have in the refrigerator. As the original recipe states, this would make a wonderful breakfast on the go.

Thanks, Cheebz, the recipe was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment