Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pita, piiiiiita!


(My poor pepper looks like it's cancerous. I assure you, it's just fine!)

This recipe that I'm about to give you isn't rocket science. It is, in fact, moronically simple. I've found, though, that I like to read moronically simple recipes sometimes, simply because though they may be simple, they probably wouldn't have occurred to me if I hadn't read them in the first place.

The other night while my family was in Sea World, I was faced with the task of trotting up to the store and buying myself something to eat for dinner. I regarded this as something of a pleasure. I'm a food nerd. Sometimes I go into grocery stores (especially Whole Foods) just to look at all the food without buying a scrap of it. So with the vague desire for something noodly and $20 to spend, I set off for the store.

What I ended up with, instead of ingredients for the soba noodle dish I had been hankering for, were ingredients to put together a pita sandwich. I've never been much of a sandwich eater and have eaten probably a total of three pitas in my life, but once the idea of hummus going down into my belly occurred to me I couldn't be stop. I rampaged through the store, snatching things off the shelves and managed to spend a total of about $17. I ate the left overs for lunch the next two days.

This will probably feed two or three people for dinner or just one person for two or three meals. I would also like to point out that this is a meal that is so flexible that you could put literally anything in it: beef, pork, lamb, cucumbers, tomatoes, anything. I believe strongly in tailoring food to one's own tastes! The way I made them, though, turned out to be absolutely delicious.

Ingredients:

1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 bunch of green onions
1 avocado
1 package of wheat pitas
hummus (I bought the Athenos roasted red pepper--mm!)
two chicken breasts

In a small frying pan, put both of your chicken breasts. Put just enough water in the pan to cover the bottom. peel and crush three cloves of garlic with the flat side of your knife and throw these in with the chicken. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low-medium heat, checking occasionally and turning when necessary. Covering them with the water and the garlic in the pan not only makes them taste amazing, it also makes them tender as hell. I cook them until just after they're done and pull them off the stove. Cut into small cubes.

While your chicken is cooking, chop you vegetables into edible bites. I like cutting my peppers into narrow strips, but you could chop them small if you wanted to. I was lazy so I just cut my avocado into strips. If you'd like, you could mash it into a spread! If you want to save the cooked garlic from the chicken pan to put into your pita, you definitely can.

When the chicken is done and cut, warm your pitas. You could microwave them for a few seconds or pop them in the oven at 350 for a few minutes, whatever works for you. Depending on the brand you buy, the pockets might already be cut. Either way, be careful when opening your pita. I use the wheat kind, which seem to be especially fragile.

Spread the hummus (and the avocado if applicable) inside the pocket on one side. Distribute the chicken evenly in the bottom and put your vegetables in. I sprinkled my green onions on top to give it a little bite. I wouldn't recommend filling it too full or you're going to end up with a godawful mess.

Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment